Well, Can you open Apps using Siri ? Yes you can . Stock Siri is not able to open Apps, but Siri with tricks can do it, you can do this on your way. Here’s how to make Siri open Apps.
The trick is based on opening apps via the URL scheme in Safari. For those who don’t know, you can launch any app and take some actions via Safari browser URLs.
You can open apps like Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, App Store and more using URL schemes :
- itms-apps:// – Open the App Store
- maps:// – Open the Maps app
- sms:// – Open the compose window of the Messages app
- music:// – Go to the currently playing song in the Music app
- youtube:// – Open the YouTube app
- itms-books:// – Open the iBooks app
Now on Siri , you will use the same option that Apple allows you to launch apps. Fortunately, you can add URL schemes into a contact. So by creating a new contact and adding the URL scheme for the app you want to launch or the command you want to add, you will be able to open the apps via Siri.
We will take the Facebook App as an example, let’s add some popular schemes from the below ones to a contact named “Facebook”:
- fb://profile – Open Facebook app to the user’s profile
- fb://friends – Open Facebook app to the friends list
- fb://notifications – Open Facebook app to the notifications list
- fb://feed – Open Facebook app to the News Feed
- fb://events – Open Facebook app to the Events page
- fb://requests – Open Facebook app to the Requests list
- fb://notes – Open Facebook app to the Notes page
- fb://albums – Open Facebook app to Photo Albums list
Create a new contact and then scroll down till you get to the URLs section at the bottom. Add some of those above and save contact as shown below:
Now try it, say Facebook and will show you your contact with your commands. Here’s all URL schemes .
And Here’s a video showing the action :
Interesting, Right ?