iPhone represents 42% of smartphones in the US

A recently conducted survey by the NPD Group reveals that the iPhone took up 42% of smartphone units in the United States in the last quarter of 2013, a figure that’s respectively followed by Samsung, Motorola, LG, HTC and Blackberry.

Following after Apple’s 42% share is Samsung’s 26%. When added together, both Apple and Samsung take up 68% of the total smartphone shares in the United States.

american.phones

The figures of the recently released survey’s results illustrates how Apple is gaining a solid foothold in its home market turf, while other brands are slowing losing their standing, though only by losing by a few margins.

The increase is attributed to Apple’s move in releasing two iPhone models in 2013 – the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C – with the former positioned as the more premium, top of the line iPhone option as the former is set as a cost-efficient alternative to the original iPhone 5.

Apart from Apple’s increase in the smartphone domain in its home country, the survey also notes that – unsurprisingly – the last quarter of 2013 experienced a boom in mobile data subscriptions as opposed to last year’s figures, with the average users indicated to consume an average of 6.6 gigs of mobile data each month.

Though the NDP Group did conduct assessments on what the top music streaming services are, there was no mention of Apple’s iTunes Radio, which made its debut on September last year.

The survey also indicated that 60% of mobile subscribers in the United States are currently using smartphones as their primary communication devices.

Speak Your Mind

*


+ two = 9